You have come across John's web page.
My background is cartography (I have a degree from RMIT
University) and I work as a survey - draftsman at Watsons, an award-winning
land surveying, civil engineering design and town planning
company on the Mornington Peninsula.
Professionally, I'm a member of the Mapping Sciences
Institute Australia and the Surveying and Spatial Sciences
Since late 2013, I have been expanding my spatial skills at home
as well as at work, and examples of this are as follows:
- Cartography/GIS: Using Vicmap and Geoscience
Australia data as the base and MapInfo software, I've created
the following maps:
- Mornington Peninsula Astronomical Society - Member
- Mornington Peninsula Astronomical Society - Viewing
- Mornington Peninsula Astronomical Society - Cranbourne
- Light Railway Research Society of Australia - Yarra
Junction - Powelltown area map , showing what is
available with Vicmap data.
- ABS 2016 Census: Religion
data for Melbourne - thematic maps and charts.
- Presbyterian Church of Victoria: Church Planting Committee
- a series of maps around Melbourne using 2016 Census data
to assist with church planting.
- Generic copies of the above Church
Planting Maps, available for use by other
- GPS: Using a Magellan handheld GPS on loan
(originally a Triton and more recently an Explorist):
- I've picked up features such as walking tracks that aren't
yet on Melway or Vicmap. Using GIS software, I've converted
the GPX files to MapInfo format, then in MapInfo overlaid
these on Vicmap data. The resulting data is then sent off to
Melway and Vicmap as needed. See as examples a screen dump for
Woods Reserve (near Devilbend Reservoir, Mornington
Peninsula) and a screen dump for
Buckley NCR (Balnarring, Mornington Peninsula).
- Picked up plaques around Dromana for the Dromana and
District Historical Society.
- More recently, I now have a kit-build GPS
to use as well.
- KML: I've created Google Earth KML/KMZ files for a
variety of subjects using CAD/GIS software, view this list and more recently
the 'Round 2' work.
- Google Maps API: I've done some 'playing around' to
create a basic map for the
Mornington Peninsula Astronomical Society, another for
the Dromana &
District Historical Society and a third for the Gateway 4WD group.
- Animated 3D Maps: Maps of the Puffing
Billy Railway and 4WD
- Talbotville to The Pinnacles via Billy Goat Bluff Track,
created using Memory
Map software (in it's 3D ability). Normally, you can do
this with a GPX file from a handheld GPS device, etc; but
these involved GPX tracks created using commercial or
freeware/open-source CAD and GIS software.
- Multimedia: A multimedia
CD of Walhalla produced (as part of a group) while in
final year at RMIT Uni.
I have also provided feedback to Melway since around 1996 and
Vicmap (Spatial Vision Map Books and Vicmap maps/digital data)
since 2006 by 'unofficial' field-checking of the maps, and am now
using a handheld GPS to assist in this, combined with GIS.
Hobbies and Other
My main hobbies are astronomy and railways.
Railways - I'm a member of the Light
Railway Research Society of Australia
I'm also a member of the Dromana-Mornington
Photos from past holidays, daytrips, etc: Flickr
Other smaller web pages of mine:
4WD Links (including maps)
Links to Christian groups
Bible Maps and Atlases
Web pages of mine that are no longer maintained are as follows:
I do cooking and gardening in my spare time.
Other interests are science & technology, aviation, civil
engineering, military & intelligence, geopolitics,
history and counter-factual history.
I'm a 'Straight WASP Male' from a conservative background.
I'm also on LinkedIn
for those of you who know me and are already on there.
I have always been single, because I have never met any single
nice ladies around my age (let alone Christian as well). This is
no surprise when you note how often feminists demonize men and
treat men as second-class citizens.